Unfortunately, employee injuries are a realistic risk for businesses of all types. While a safe working environment, proper training, and management can help reduce the number and severity of injuries, a plan is required to get employees back to work. With an effective return-to-work program, a loss of productivity and morale can be avoided and claim costs can be minimized. With that said, ensure you and your employees are backed by a comprehensive Delaware Workers’ Compensation Insurance program.
A Return-to-Work (RTW) program should be developed before an injury occurs. Here’s how:
- According to the National Association of Wholesaler Distributors (NAW), assign an individual or the RTW team to be responsible for the program. Include representatives from both management and labor (union) in the planning process and on the team.
- Create the expectation for all employees to participate and stress your company’s dedication to protecting employees and getting injured ones back to work as soon as possible.
- Describe each position your company offers in detail. Include physical requirements and expectations of the worker in that role to best identify when he or she can return safely.
- Identify transitional positions that are available within your company. Ask employees for suggestions on how an injured employee can get back to work with a temporary, less physically taxing position.
- Create an early-reporting procedure to investigate the incident and treat the employee immediately.
- Train management on how to handle employee injuries and explain the value of a RTW program to all employees.
- Stay in touch with the employee during treatment and communicate with their treating physician. Never underestimate the importance of communication and showing that you care about the well-being of the employee.
- Determine how the incident occurred and implement processes and procedures to prevent similar accidents from occurring in the future.
At IFS Insurance, we specialize in protecting business likes yours throughout Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. Our quality solutions and commitment to excellence has allowed us to serve these states for over 50 years. For more information about our products, we invite you to contact us today at (855) 259-2428.